PDA

View Full Version : Harley-Davidson paying up to $12m in penalties?

nickdee88
08-19-2016, 02:16 PM
So I came across a story about a law suit filed by the US authorities against Harley-Davidson. Apparently, it is claimed that the motorbikes have polluted the air in the past, at higher levels than is required. To add on this, the company will no longer sell the "super tuners" that enable the bikes to gain power but increases gas emissions. I suppose this is a really bad day for the company and the industry at large.

Hamilton
08-20-2016, 05:43 PM
It is indeed a bad day especially considering that the sum is ridiculously huge. How do the courts arrive at such a sum? Do they do some sort of damage assessment? Issues to do with environmental pollution have recently become a thorn in the flesh of many such companies.

KeithMU
08-23-2016, 10:46 AM
Wow, that's a huge fine. I guess it depends on just how bad the emissions were and how long the problem went on for. I have faith that the engineers at Harley will figure out how to merge high output with low emissions.

Gene88
08-23-2016, 10:59 AM
So does this mean we'll have to look forward to less powerful bikes in the future? Not too sure which models contained the super tuners but as they're on their way out it seems there'll be a drop in power.

Hamilton
08-24-2016, 05:33 AM
So does this mean we'll have to look forward to less powerful bikes in the future? Not too sure which models contained the super tuners but as they're on their way out it seems there'll be a drop in power.
I read that story and the first thing that came to mind was to wonder what would happen to bikes in the future. Perhaps this is preemptive but a stark reality of what could happen but I think we had better wait and see what unfolds in the aftermath of this ruling.

malcolm
08-26-2016, 11:25 AM
That is quite a sum in terms of the fine. Is there room for the company to appeal? I think the best we can do is just to wait and see how everything unfolds. I fail to wonder how this issue had to go past the production phase; it would have saved the company a lot and made it seek alternatives.

nickdee88
09-06-2016, 03:01 AM
It will be interesting to know how the whole case pans out because it could easily set a precedent of how such violations will be handled in the near future. I am sure that many Harley enthusiasts will be checking to see how this will be concluded eventually.

shaqq
09-12-2016, 08:57 AM
That is quite a huge amount of money in terms of fines. You then ask yourself if that is how much Harley is expected to pay, then how much does the company make in terms of revenue?

Cosmogrl
10-16-2016, 04:35 PM
It all depends on how you're looking at it. I'm a Harley fan and I feel for them, but I also know that we need to look after our environment at the same time so I'm kinda torn...