PDA

View Full Version : Saddle bags removal

Frank
09-29-2016, 07:44 AM
So I bought this 1998 FXDL with saddle bags that are Harley brand and seem to be designed for this model and are hard mounted to the bike. I'd like to remove them this winter just for a good detailing of the bike and maybe for easier access to the rear wheel for removal for a new tire. I can't see how to remove them without a lot of disassembly. If any of you have these bags and could shed some light on the subject please do.

shaqq
09-29-2016, 03:18 PM
In the past, I have heard riders say that a good way to remove the saddle bags is to put the bike on a lift then raise it until a point where it is easy to take the weight of the shocks. I reckon that the hard part is normally in finding a lift since I personally do not own one.

djanana
10-03-2016, 11:49 AM
I had no idea that this was something a rider could do on their own. Most times, we are so preoccupied with letting the dealers do everything. I hope you find an easier way of removing them.

Frank
10-04-2016, 10:47 AM
I had no idea that this was something a rider could do on their own. Most times, we are so preoccupied with letting the dealers do everything. I hope you find an easier way of removing them.

Thanks but I try to do everything myself on my bikes and always have. I find it's a great way to get to know them inside and out. From what I can figure out there is no easy way to remove them so I'm going to wait until I'm done for the riding season then take them off. Thanks

djanana
10-06-2016, 03:19 PM
Frank, I can understand what it means to want to have something fixed then end up realizing that this is impossible. I hope you have better luck after the riding season.

Frank
10-18-2016, 08:25 AM
Well I put the bike up on a jack to change the oil and found that with the rear wheel off the ground I have better access to the nuts inside the fender, still it's going to be much more invasive then I had hoped so this project is defiantly going to wait for winter and the end of riding season 2016.